Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Chronicle - "The End of Solitude" Response

Throughout reading this article, I felt refreshed. And although I'm slightly hypocritical, for I do make use of Facebook, MySpace, e-mail, a cellular phone with text messaging, and Video iChat occasionally with beloveds, I completely agree. My father always pushed for my sisters and I to spend some time alone, by ourselves, without music or any media at that, in our rooms, or in the backyard under a starry night and escape from thought and busy world. "The act of being alone has been understood as an essential dimension of religious experience...[it] renews its relationship with divinity" (1-2) is a similar expression to my dad's idea of solitude: "to pray is to ask, while to meditate is to receive the answer" he would say. My dad is an intelligent, knowledgeable, well-read man - I usually take his word on accounts and issues. Solitude, away from the "bustle of petty concerns, jostle of quotidian interests" (2) is the means to gain ideas and the "value of keeping them hidden" - the own person, own soul of each individual. I've personally have felt such fear of loneliness that I grab my phone and call an old lover, a reliable friend, in my despair. However, once overcoming the bewilderment, I relax and envelope in the isolation. I'll admit though, I spend a lot of my time by myself; however I'm usually in the company of a book or music, which I'm not sure it necessarily counts. I've been wanting to reach into my own mind, my own conscience with ideas and thoughts outside of external influence and drugs, but honestly I'm afraid. I know the only means to reach such individual ideas is to dwell in solitude habitually, occasionally on those dark lonely nights. How would you feel if suddenly you were not able to call your best friend, or boyfriend, or tell everyone what you're doing and feeling on Facebook, or listen to your favorite song, or read a good book - what would you think about, how would you feel?

-Elish I.

3 comments:

  1. When I was younger, I always had trouble falling asleep at night which I thought was a bad thing. Now I think its a good thing because it gave me time by myself to think about whatever without music or anything else to distract me. Time alone to think deeply is good because it allows you to figure things out and find answers which relates to your dad's idea that "to meditate is to receive the answer."

    Z Yasuda - Team Edward

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I agree. I mean I don't have trouble sleeping, if anything I sleep too much. But there were occurrences when I wouldn't fall asleep so I got up and painted, or read, or wrote, or simply focused on my breathing, or anything to make me relax. I used to think music was a good help to relax but I realize now it only kept me up longer. I haven't necessarily "received an answer" but I've been able to focus throughout the day, which I have trouble doing.
    -Elish I

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree, time alone is much needed. I have to admit I feel a bit smothered being constantly around people. I love being with friends and family, but time alone is always nice. My favorite time to be alone is at the beach away from all the hustle and bustle just watching the waves and thinking, and at night when im laying in bed reflecting back on the day and thinking of what's yet to come.

    ReplyDelete