As I spend one night each month filling out my blog sheet (sadly I always cram it in the last minute) I have not yet found a blog that actually interests me. Do not get me wrong, the posts about college admissions, philosophical approaches, and literary merit interest me, but only to some extend. I enjoy reading them but more times then not, my responses have little if any emotion towards them. I do it for the assignment instead of the enjoyment that it brings me.
Today as I began filling out my blog sheet and responding to the different posts, I found myself drawn to "17 and Baking". I remember having taken a look at this blog before but figured that I would not be interested because to be honest, baking is not really a hobby that I enjoy. Every attempt leads to a uncontrollable mess, and the end result is never worth the time and effort. Let's face it, baking is just not my thing.
Despite my lack of enthusiasm, I began reading and found myself drawn to the blog. It is not only about baking, but is instead about a 19 year old girl and her journey through college. She attends school somewhere in Boston, and has many significant insights not just on baking but on life as well. I find myself relating to many of the things that she says, and am actually interested in reading her posts. Her blog is something that I enjoy reading, and help myself when I continue scrolling down the page so that I can read more and more of her entries. If you have not taken the time to look at it, I encourage you to do so. It may not be "your cup of tea" but it may just interest you as it did for me.
Lexie Cantarero
I'm glad you like it! I am a terrible cook and baking is hardest of all, so I understand your initial trepidation. But her writing is so wonderful! And her photography, too, is beautiful. Hers is one of my favorite blogs. I am sad that since she started school in Boston her posts have been less frequent.
ReplyDeleteI followed your recommendation and I'm glad I did. I actually enjoy baking, although the only thing I know how to bake currently is cookies. Reading her blog and seeing the photos she take makes me want to try to bake new things. Thanks for putting that out there!
ReplyDeleteBoa K.
I agree with you about not being interested in many blogs... so i went out and read other people's blogs outside of our english class circle. i found new personalities and perspectives i've never associated with before. i learned more about subjects i wasnt really into and etc. so i see your view here :)
ReplyDelete-angela
Lexie,
ReplyDeleteIt is good to see that you are reading and searching for more blogs than only the ones that Mrs. Elliott's classes have done. After reading your post, it makes me want to explore new blogs even if the topics don't interest me so much. I will be sure to check out "17 and Baking" even though I'm also not too interested in baking. Keep up the good work on your posts.
Joel B. (Dragonfist Bandits)
Glad you found interest in blogging! I believe many students actually feel the same way as you did before you found about that blog. The thing is that we need more people who truly enjoy blogging "assignment" so more people can find blog posts interesting. Hopefully I'll become enthusiastic about this assignment as well.
ReplyDeleteChloe Kwon
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFor the past few months I have realized the usefulness of a blog though sadly I have not yet found a blog that suited me. I guess it's because I've been lazy and have not conducted much of a search (DUUU!!!), though after writing this response I will resume my search(maybe). The issue I have a hard time with is that I am so used to communicating with people I already know, I am unaccustomed to placing responses on videos, articles, ect. online even if it can be done without giving your actual name or important information.
ReplyDelete--Josiah
I actually really enjoy blogging. I think the lack of fulfillment from school blogs (which I feel at times, too) comes from a lack of student enthusiasm. I try really hard to write blogs related to school that still have a strong relevance to my life and to things outside of school. I think too many students are just trying to generically write things to get it out of the way. They all start to sound the same. I blog outside of the school blogs because of this, and so I commend you for looking outside these blogs sometimes, too. I think it can be a fun hobby.
ReplyDelete- Melanie N.
I can totaly relate to you! I haven't come across a student blog yet that has captured my intrest. I guess it's because most of the blogs are mostly on the same topics that it becomes redundant. I will take up your advice and check out "17 and Baking".
ReplyDelete-Kaylee
It seems like every student is trying to post about what the current class topic is which can be very repetitive and bland. Some of them are very well written and entertaining if you look hard enough. The other blogs can be a great thing to read if you are just too sick of reading about Tess and Frankenstein every week because they give fresh topics to discuss that we do not talk about in class. -Richard H
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way about blogs! I always do it last minute and only because i have to, but i've found the outside blogs to be really interesting, especially the one you mentioned. She's such a great writer! When i went to see what her blog was, my first thought was "This is way too long, I refuse to read it." But i read it anyway and was pleasantly surprised :)
ReplyDelete-Dayna M.
Although I have not read those blogs, I will do so after this comment. I agree that most of the time we just comment or blog just because we have to, but every more often than not, I have found very interesting poems that students write. These poems like "Solvent" by The A Team make me realize the beauty of literature because students our age are capable of writing these amazing poems. I think that this is my interest in blogging because I become more appreciative of student blogs.
ReplyDeleteCynthia Navarro
I totally agree with you I always do my blog sheet at the last minute like right now. I would also go check out the blog, maybe I would be interested. Thank You for giving insight on the blog.
ReplyDeleteI definitely understand what you mean. It is definitely interesting to see what ideas people have, but to me, I find the posts about more personal things the most interesting. They are so much easier to connect to than the average blog post we see. This opens me up to making my own blogs more personal, bringing in true interest and emotion to the topics we are learning in class.
ReplyDelete-Taylor C.
I agree with you Lex, I feel like I am in constant search for a blog that I can connect to. I feel like these blogs are not exactly ones that I can follow closely since entries are so sporadic and eclectic that in a place where one post may interest me, the next is a total bore. I put off my blogging until the last minute (mostly because I have a terrible memory that doesn't kick in until absolutely necessary) and I never have a problem rattling off my feelings, but its rarely anything I am passionate about. I am going to read 17 and baking now though since you recommended it :P
ReplyDelete-Audrey T.
I agree. I read that blog sometime a while ago when Mrs. Elliott first mentioned it and I really liked it. But I had forgotten about it until you brought it up again. I will be sure to go back and read the blog now! Especially more so because I like baking.
ReplyDelete- LIsa
OMG you too...! I'm very bad at cooking. In fact, I remember when I had to make noodles for my sister, I did a terrible job. I was like, "hmm....it's just noodles. Must taste quite bland. Let's add ketchup (to the boiling water)! Some 'pinch' of sugar, maybe salt too. We need lemon juice for a sour zinge. Add a 'spoonful' of tomato sauce for Italian taste! Now, it should taste well!" Alas, my sister complained that it tasted like sinkwater.
ReplyDelete--A. Chang
I've never really considered reading and commenting on blogs outside the ones we write in class but this post has inspired me to try doing that in the future. I'm amazed at how successful and popular the blogger from "17 and Baking" is! Most of us are just around the same age as she is and she demonstrates how we can turn our passion for a particular topic into a blog that others may look forward to reading. You're right that many of the posts written on the class blogs are somewhat redundant and that it's time we start venturing out to outside blogs, exploring how different subjects can relate to our class discussions and personal lives.
ReplyDelete-Matt A.
I came into this class thinking of reading someone else's blogs as an assignment that must be completed, never truly connecting with someone's words or their thoughts. However after reading 17 and baking, although I cannot really connect to it because I have never tried to bake, her blog makes me laugh and I can imagine trying to do what she does and constantly messing up. Overtime I appreciate blogging more and i have to thank this class for introducing me to this new hobby.
ReplyDeleteJehan T.
It can be difficult to find blogs that we truly enjoy because we view it as an assignment that we are most likely cramming for and is robbing us of our precious sleep. Yet every once in a wile I find a blog that truly captivates and inspires me, so now when commenting on blogs I go through alot of each teams history of blogs looking for one that will really impress me and when I find one, it is worth it.
ReplyDelete-Jacci E.
I think most people just put whatever they want simply to ge the assignment done. As such, a majority of the blogs are of a low quality. However, I have found many to be insightful, and have even used some of the things I've read to better my understand of AP Lit and writing as a whole
ReplyDeleteThe title of your blog really caught my eye but you are right about the value of a blog, even though we all might look at blogging as just an assignment it really can help us sort through are own issues as well as ideas about class assignments. You're right; there is beauty in every blog.
ReplyDeleteI agree, blogging the night before the sheet is due has become a major chore. One that I don't really get excited about doing, but what I found that helps is if you make your own posts about something that really interest you and watch the comments stack up. That is what makes it fun for me, and it seems you have done the same as well.
ReplyDelete-Christiana R.
I have also grown tired of the same blog posts every time. It seems that we all end up blogging about the same things! I do enjoy baking and cooking, and Boston, and people's lives, so I think I will check out that blog.
ReplyDeleteDavid Mao
17 and Baking is the one outside blog that I have been reading. She has so many great insights into life, and it is very interesting to relate them to baking. I, myself, do like to bake, and many of the recipes she gives sound amazing. But the more significant meaningful part for me are her reflections. It's good to know we can enjoy ourselves, do something we love, and still learns something in the process!
ReplyDeleteTori Greaves
Lexie, I can totally see where you are coming from with this. No offense to anyone but each time I go to comment on a blog, I always scroll till I find one that looks somewhat interesting. I have found that 17 and baking has been my absolute favorite because she actually blogs about her life, not about stuff that we talk about in class.
ReplyDelete-Amanda C
Good input Shmexie :D
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize, before this class, that there was a whole world of blogging. It is fun, informative, and easy to get your message across, discuss others reasons for blogging, and overall, creating a whole community for sharing and networking.
CamT
I do agree; blogging is somewhat tedious, but it allows you to reflect on the good and bad things in your life (or English class in this matter). I really like some of the non-student blogs Mrs. Elliott has suggested. However, my absolute favorite blog is 1000 Awesome Things: http://1000awesomethings.com/
ReplyDeleteI hate blogging, but I am intrigued by the stylistic writings of other students my age! I have yet to check out 17 and baking, but after all the positive feed back I have read, I should add that to my to do list!
ReplyDeleteI hated blogging at first, but I actually like reading what other students have to say in the class- its good to know that I'm not the only one to think things about the class or what-not:)
ReplyDeleteSame here. i have always thought blog is just another homework i have to do. So, i became lazy and reluctant to do it. But, i start to carefully read some blogs and find myself drawn into them. Like you, i think i'm really enjoying to do blogs now!
ReplyDeleteAt first, blogging was a chore for me too. As the year progressed, however, I have grown to enjoy blogging. I am considering starting a blog on my own, and it is due to the assignment that I initially dreaded.
ReplyDelete-Erica W.
i agree that her blog is absolutely adorable! she makes me want to go in my kitchen and make something amazing! ( although that would probably be a bad idea considering i tend to light things on fire!) it is definitely a blog that i am going to keep on looking at even after i graduate!
ReplyDelete