Monday, May 16, 2011

Moving On

This past few weeks we have spent much time reflecting on our years in high school and the young adults we have become. At times it is hard to believe the fact that we are done with our childhood and are moving into the real world. I think back on all the memories I had, good and bad, all the friends I made, all the activities I was involved with, and all the lessons I learned. I especially realized how much I have matured during my four years of high school when I opened my Letter to Self written during my freshman year. Some of the important things in my life, the people I talked about, and the activities I enjoyed during my freshman year are now insignificant. Some of them I had nearly forgotten about. I find it fascinating when I am able to reflect on my past and am able to realize a particular event or series of events that changed my preferences, friendships, or values. It makes we wonder what will remain important, what will be forgotten, and what new things will be introduced in my life 4 years from now.

Working on the Senior Memoir Books these past weeks has been somewhat of a challenge to me. Not only was I focused on other things, such as AP tests and graduation, but I was a bit reluctant to reflect upon my childhood and my years in high school. It is sad to see these fun-filled years come to an end. But my experiences and the lessons I learned have allowed to me begin a new chapter of my life, college. As the door to my childhood and high school closes, the door to college and my future life as an adult opens. I am ready to dive in and make the most of every opportunity that presents itself to me.

Dane Johnson

5 comments:

  1. The funny thing is I don't really want my childhood to end and the fact that this point of my life is here kinda sucks. I'm going to miss going to school and see my friends that have had my back over the past several years and never left my side. I'm going to miss hanging out with my cousin whenever i felt like it or call one of my buddies and say "hey lets chill." All that will be gone and I'll have to find new peers. Change is part of life and it's time to move on, but I can't express how much I appreciate the people i've met and been around in my life because they helped make me who I am today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, with the A Team. I will be sorry to see my childhood because I know that from graduation on I will be on my own in the real world and things are going to change so much. I am going to miss how easy it was to hang out with my friends. But once we hit college everyone will be focused on pursuing their future and getting jobs and they will be worried about financial aid instead of when they can hang out. I believe I am ready to move on, but I will miss this period of my life very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most difficult thing about senior year is moving on. It seems as though high school is really long, but at the same time goes by so fast. Someone once said that everyday of senior year is the longest year of your life but the year as a whole is the longest year of your life. It's very true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, there is one thing about senior year that makes me sad-the people I know I probably won't ever see again. It's just so hard to believe that these people that I have come close to over these past four years (and even in junior high and grade school) are people that I might not ever spend time with again. I'm so excited to explore the world but I just hope when I come back home, it really is home, friends, family, and all.
    -Shelby F.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to disagree with the previous comments in regards to gradution being a sad time due to the possibility of not seeing friends ever again. I think that is one of the most exciting part. I can't wait to go to college and meet new people. There will be different perspectives upon which can broaden horizons.As Dane said, high school has prepared us for this time.
    Andrew V

    ReplyDelete