As we are finishing up our study of Frankenstein, and after examining the poem on promises today, a question is left in my head. Many times in literature we not only read a work, but follow our reading with a study of the authors techniques and strategies used in the writing. The point I am trying to come across at is whether or not you believe that studying a work after reading it is important? Isn't the purpose of reading to be exposed to the storyline and become familiar with what the writer has to say, or is it evolving into a study of the writers techniques instead?
I love reading and fully enjoy the kinds of things that I learn from literature, but I do not always love examining a piece of work long after I am done reading it. I know that understanding rhetorical techniques and strategies will only add to my understanding of a text, but don't get me wrong for missing the days when all I had to do was read a book. I believe that by asking high school students to look for techniques and strategies in a novel while they are reading, they are being distracted from the whole point of the book... the storyline. Perhaps if we studied certain works and only read certain ones, more kids would actually want to do the reading instead of turning to sparknotes.com. So my question is where do you stand? Do you miss the days when reading a book was the only assignment? OR are you accustomed to what literature has evolved into now... a study of rhetoric, technique, and strategy in a piece of writing?
Lexie Cantarero
Thanks for the good question, Lexie. I am wondering, can it be both? Can we love the initial experience of falling into a story or poem, losing our hold on reality so that eventually we can understand ourselves on a more complex level, AND love studying the craft of writing, being inspired by the way a writer is able to put words and space together to make meaning?
ReplyDeleteI totally uderstand the conflict here. Over Christmas break I read the entire Harry Potter series and it was so nice to just read the book for enjoyment. To read as fast as I wanted and not have to worry about missing details that may come up in class tomorrow or be needed for an essay. But I do have to argue also that the main purpose of all books is not to simply entertain, although that is a common favorite, but also to comment on society or humanity. Sometimes it is interesting, not fun, to delve into the characters just to learn about human nature. That's a beauty of English Class that I have always enjoyed. That we learn about people different from ourselves not only in our reading but also in our class discussions. Mr. Weidman's class was one of my favorites because of the social debates we had in there that made me think about how much was acceptable for others to think different from me, or me from others, or from society. So I do LOVE books just to read but it can be interesting to look back at a book as a character study also. Derek B.
ReplyDeleteGood question Lex. I personally only think it's necessary to examine poetry after reading, not literature in novels. I feel as if analyzing a novel too far in depth after reading it leaves me with a negative connotation of the work itself. I feel "burnt out". Overanalyzation can detract from one's imagination and views of what a story;s purpose is. Although examining an author's "hidden messages" in a novel can sometimes be beneficial, I've come to find that it tends to affect me negatively more than positively.
ReplyDeleteI sometimes wonder if I'm just a really bad reader because I never seem to find those "insights" that everyone seems to notice, as well as rhetorical strategies and such. I agree with you that focusing on academic achievements has changed the meaning of reading for most people; rather than simply enjoying the text, we now have to consider it as some homework assignment that we need to finish in order get good grades. However, it may be just us students. We can change our mindset and maybe, we might be able to enjoy and analyze it!
ReplyDeleteChloe K
I constantly struggle with this as well. I read the words but they never really make a connection with me. It's almost like going to the dentist. we hate going but at the same time we dont want to be the kid with the dirty teeth. well the same goes for this, I read because I dont want to be the stupid kid who has nothing to say when the teacher looks at him/she, but at the same time if im unable to take something from what im reading I feel as though I might as well be.
ReplyDeleteSometimes, having to analyze a text takes away from the focus on the purpose. Since taking AP Spanish literature last year I find myself automatically noticing different literary strategies when reading poetry instead of trying to find the meaning in the words.
ReplyDelete~Vanessa S.